Thursday, July 16, 2009

Final Project

For my final project I have created a sample blog that I will use as an exemplar when I introduce the independent reading project.
I would like to change the way my students keep track of their independent reading, eliminate a lot of paper, expand their reading choices, and allow them to give each other feedback on what they read. I also think it will help more reluctant readers find a greater diversity of reading material. I hope students who have a hard time finding reading material that interests them will be able to get ideas from students with similar tastes and interests.
I'm currently working on samples of the types of posts students can create. Ultimately I would like to grade them on three aspects of this project.
  1. The depth, creativity and analysis of their posts.
  2. The quality of their comments on their peer's blogs.
  3. The way that they link their blog to the web/on-line community.
I teach reading to 8th graders so they would be the guinea pigs for this project. For kids who already enjoy reading, I think this project will allow them to share what they love in a new way and act as a resource for other students. For kids who are less excited about reading I hope this project will introduce them to new reading materials and allow them to find things they're interested in reading. I believe all students will benefit from learning the skills involved in creating a blog.

Check out my Independent Reading Sample Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment